3.5.13

FAUXSTALGIA: I LITERALLY JUST NEEDED A SWEATER

A NEUTRAL SHETLAND; BEIGE OR OATMEAL


A couple of weeks ago, I had the pleasure of checking out a gallery opening at Turnbull & Asser, courtesy of Quest Magazine.  I was obviously excited– any excuse for a couple of drinks and new company is enough to satisfy me.  My only qualm, however, was that I didn't know what to expect.  Having only been to Turnbull once to return a couple sweaters post photo shoot– the preppiest shoot ever–, I was really anticipating the night.  To add onto that, my friend and I planned on stopping by an event at Theory downtown later in the night.  The difference between the Turnbull and Theory may as well be aesthetic schizophrenia . My sartorial dilemma lead to a text that read, "Yo, would you possibly have a shetland sweater I can borrow– preferably neutral; beige or oatmeal."  Unfortunately, he didn't.  Seriously, what does a guy have to do to make sure his friends have all the clothes wants?  I'm not asking for them to cure world hunger, I literally just want a solid extended wardrobe.  Seriously.  

So now I'm dealing with my friend's lack of a beige and/or oatmeal shetland sweater for me to borrow.  Literally, nonsense.  Just because I wore a pair of olive chinos, black stacked sole brogues, and the same gray sweater I wear all the time, didn't mean that was what I wanted to wear for the night.  That didn't matter though, because I was stuck in a lackluster look and there was nothing I could do about it.  

After 30 minutes of outrageous self-consciousness (because of my heinous outfit)– and about three cocktails– I'd realized that I'd spent more than enough time wallowing in my depression, and finally loosened up.  (Ha!)  Well, that and the person who decided to show up in a bandage skirt.  I may have been dressed for... who knows what, but I was grateful that I didn't look like I was about to dance on the tables at Avenue.  (I prefer the sofas.) 

The lesson I learned for the night was to not depend on your friends having each and every one of your sartorial needs because it really isn't their responsibility– although it should be.  I should have learned the first, second, and third times I requested leather / wax denim / leather-like jeans.  The only difference is my inability to find the jeans could not have been a greater blessing in disguise.

Feel free to drop a line below in the comments section about your thoughts on extended closets and what not.  Maybe we can start a support group or something...