6.5.13

DERBY INDUCED STYLE

THE RUN FOR THE ROSES HAS GOT ME THINKIN' BOUT SOME HATS

If you've been paying attention to anything lately, you'd know that horse named Orb won the 139th Kentucky Derby this past Saturday.  The only reasons you shouldn't know that are: 1. you've better things to do than care about mint juleps, wide brimmed hats, and horses; 2. you're too busy keeping up with the kardashians + kimye– by the way, that's not better than reason number 1.  (I totally realize and understand that there are many other reasons, but seriously, who cares?)  I attribute my feigned interest in the Derby to my private school past.  Anything and everything preppy– Cotillions, Gold & Silver, The Hunt, The Derby, Debutantes– is like a right of passage.  Granted, I haven't experienced all of the aforementioned events, but a general knowledge of them runs deep in prep blood.

While all of this prep talk is fine banter, the intended progression of this post was from the derby to wide-brimmed hats.  Wide-brimmed hats?! Yes, wide-brimmed hats.  I'm not talking about the ones that witches, southern belles, and, like, magicians or some other man of the magical variety wears... that may not be entirely true.  

I have never been one for caps– flatbacks, hatcaps, snapbacks!– yeah, snapbacks.  Due to my weirdly constructed head/face, I've always looked absolutely hilarious in them (granted, I'm still obsessed with the Kenzo fishnet print hat).  However, I've developed a newfound interest in wide-brim hats, one of the many accessories I wouldn't have ever even contemplated entertaining the thought of adding to my wardrobe.  (I think I wore one in a musical once.  I'm no thespian, I literally just wanted to dance... and I that's all I did).  The only thing is that I haven't the slightest idea where to start my hat search.  I even had a long talk with my friend about the basics.  Structure, yes; large & too floppy, no– apparently that's all you need to know.

Between playing with the hats at Barneys and contemplating actually buying one from American Apparel or something, I guess these Borsalino x Acne ones will do.  (I'm talking about looking at pictures, not buying them).  Seriously though, if they can look good on a dog, I'd hope they'd also look good on me.  FYI, those are some pretty good looking dogs, so I guess that makes me... I didn't say it, you thought it ;) 

ph. William Wegman for Acne Spring Summer 2013 (via Oyster)

Acne Borsalino Collaboration Aldo Woven Paper Panama Hat, $320; Acne, Mr Porter.