17.5.13

HOLY WAR ON PROM

AND WHAT MY PROM DATES SHOULD HAVE WORN

Next to graduation, Prom may be the biggest thing to look forward to during high school.  Unfortunately, it's the complete opposite when you attend an all boys school.  To clear things up before I go too far, going to an all boys school didn't mean that we had a single-sex prom, obviously.  Instead, each single-sex school in the area hosted its own prom and by the end of a prom season, one could have easily attended well over four.  That said, prom was easily the least anticipated event of the year, well, at least it was for me.

I think prom time may have actually been more stressful than finals.  Not only did I have to worry about what ill-fitting and low end rental tux I'd overspend on for one night, there was also the prom date.  Unless you were dating, it was typical protocol to wait it out until the final week before prom, ask anyone you could, and take the first person you found who wasn't already going.  I was so far removed from my prom date selection, that by my senior prom, I actually let a mom I met through working in admissions set me up with her daughters friend.  She turned out to be an awesome date– an aspiring designer– and we still talk, but I don't think my lack of interest in the selection of my prom date could have been any clearer.  Who my prom date was didn't really matter to me, I cared more about what– who– she was wearing.  Naturally.

Fortunately, I'm all done with all that prom nonsense, but each time it comes around, I find myself virtually styling countless girls.  I don't really care if they take my advice or not, all I care about is giving them the initiative to not look like every other girl in some atrocious jewel-encrusted, cut-out, mullet dress.

Those aren't appropriate.  Ever.

Spring/Summer 2013 from Venexiana may have been the most RFP collection (ready-for-prom)  I'd seen at NYFW, but I'd be ridiculous to overlook Alexander Wang.  I'm sure I'm not the only person still captivated  by the glow in the dark section of his collection.  While my favorite dress wasn't a glower, it does come in a glowing option.  I also can't get over the fishline detailing that I'm pretty sure wiggles through every school's prom dress requirements.  It falls below the knee, but I'm pretty sure it exposes just a tad too much skin for chaperone comfort.  Who cares?  Not I, said the fly.

Seriously though, a girl would have to be crazy– or have unlimited access to the Wang closet– in order to actually wear this out to a club.  (I've been out one too many times where drinks found their ways onto clothes sooner than into someone's mouth... but that's a whole different issue.)  However, I can't think of better dresses for my former prom dates.  Perfect for pre-prom pictures, then they're, like, a literal party when the lights go down.  In addition, as a guy, I don't think you could ask for an easier way to keep an eye on your date.  And girls, just because it's white, doesn't mean you can't still have fun.  There's just one pointer: do all your eating ahead of time (you need ample time to digest before you get down, anyway), and avoid the silly virgin drinks.  They're virgin, and no alcohol (like it should be at prom) means pure sugar.  We all know that sugar is no good for you, and a the red dye in a virgin daiquiri is no good for your dress.  Just stick to water.

Maybe if Wang brought these babies out a couple seasons in advance, my proms would have been way more enjoyable.

No offense to any of my prom dates– just because I didn't like your prom dress, it doesn't mean I didn't like you.  Promise ;)

ph. via Alexander Wang