13.5.13

NICOLAS SPEAKS

THAT'S JUST AS GROUNDBREAKING AS FLORALS FOR SPRING.   REALLY, IT IS.

You never know how great something is until it's gone, and that something for me right now is Nicolas Ghesquière at Balenciaga.  Am I really wrong for never investing too much interest in the brand solely because of Kristen Stewart's involvement?  It's nothing really against her, but her overall lack of enthusiasm instead (which is natural man repellent– Leandra, take note).  And it's really nice that the Arena's caught on and all, but we can all agree that they've secured a solid place among the over-exposed ranks of hypebeast.  Simply put, I'm not that interested in them.  Even though I've yet to invest in an actual Balenciaga piece, I do show some sort of brand appreciation with my Conflict of Interest "Ballin'" tee– that's pretty much as good as you can get without settling for a counterfeit...  right? 

Why am I in such a Balenciaga mood?  Well, a couple weekends ago, I was playing in my friend's closet and discovered a pair of Balenciaga shoes.  (Fortunately for him, we don't wear the same size.)  The design of the shoe– the timelessness as well as the overall aesthetic– was literally perfect.  Also, they make the wearer's feet look a little smaller, and there are some days that I'm willing to do anything to make my size 11.5 feet look just a little smaller.  I really don't think I've ever been so intrigued by  an all black shoe, but it wasn't just a black shoe– no words can truly describe it's beauty.   Anyway, right before I finally get over this brief Balenciaga binge, Nicolas is making headlines because he's finally talking.    

BoF published an interview System Magazine did with Nicolas regarding his departure from the brand.  If you can make it pass his piercing glare, it's actually quite the interview.  Subtle shade thrown here and there never hurt anyone, eh?  He talks about essentially being alone, conflict of interests, and just about every other obstacle you'll encounter when working with others... Not mad at you, bro.  I am, however, beyond depressed since the men's collections will never be the same.  

After a quick revisit via style.com, I finally came to the realization that luxury menswear has suffered a great loss.  No offense at all to Wang and his impressive, yet modest, women's AW13 collection, but I honestly don't think we will see anything like we saw circa Nic G.  What's a boy to do? 

If you see this, Nicolas, I hope you understand that this is a plea for you to return to fashion, at least for the menswear.  Or you can send me some samples if you have any laying around– whichever is more convenient for you.  I'll love you 4ever 5ever.

I'm seriously going to miss him.

Regardless if you like Wang or not, on a scale from 1-10, how much do you already miss Nicolas?  Leave a number in the comments– or don't, it's not like I enabled comments for a reason or anything.

photo via BoF | Nicolas Ghesquière by Jeurgen Teller for System Magazine