10.5.13

PAJAMAS IN PUBLIC

#LUXURYLOUNGING HARDER THAN A PAIR OF BANANAS

If you follow and/or care about Marc Jacobs at all, you're probably privy to his recent penchant for wearing pajamas in public.  Now, I really don't care about celebrity/designer style, more specifically, Marc Jacobs at all.  No offense to the man in any way.  I mean, I applaud his eponymous collection's show production as much as any fashion enthusiast– he's like New York's Uncle Karl; I'd just be bitter if I said I didn't like his shows.  However, I rarely ever cared for his actual designs (I was all about this beaver fur backpack last summer, but I clearly missed out).  Back on the good side, there are his recent collections at Louis Vuitton: Damier-cum-mod for SS13, and logo-less for AW13– I even liked the SS13 Marc Jacobs collection as well... even though it just seemed like an extension of the Vuitton collection, but I'm not getting into that.  Marc is seriously messing with my heart and his recent pajama trend is only making things more difficult.  Why do you do this to me, MJ?

Marc's sartorial decisions have me seriously contemplating every outfit I've worn out of the house.  Ever. It seems like just yesterday it was all about overdressing.  After all, it was, like, the thing to be able to say, "oh no, I have plans after this."  Now that we're steadily on the way to appropriating PJs in our public lives, it's more of a, "I'm nosediving straight into bed after this... or am I?"  It's the perfect combination of nonchalance and mystery.  

All of this brings me to this past Monday's festivities, the Met Ball.  While most everyone flirted with the punk theme for the night, Marc and Sofia Coppola, raised the bar in luxe PJ-style looks.  Seriously, does it get any better than pajamas at the Met Ball?  Sure, Dakota looked great in Rodarte and the same goes for Doutzen in custom Theyskens' Theory, but I don't think it's possible for anything to top Marc and Sofia.  

Part of me wants to say that I hope this trend catches on, because it really is the bees knees.  Then again, I really don't want it to, because then I wouldn't be able to wear it.

What do you think about PJs in public?